The Orthopaedic Residency Training Program started in the early 1930's. This was a program that was directed by several early Orthopaedists practicing in the city.
In the 1940's the program became more organized under the direction of George Garceau, M.D. At that time, it was the Division of Orthopaedic Surgery within the Department of General Surgery. The education was performed by private physicians within the city and there was no full-time faculty.
The residents were assigned to any one of several hospitals throughout their training program. These hospitals included Marion County General Hospital (Wishard Memorial Hospital), Veteran's Administration Hospital, St. Vincent's Hospital, Methodist Hospital , or University Hospital . The residents did not rotate from one hospital to another with the exception that all the residents rotated through Riley Hospital for children's orthopaedics, under the direction of George Garceau, M.D. It is this common tie to the previous graduates of the Indiana Orthopaedic Residency Training Program that the alumni organization is called the Riley Alumni Association for the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.In 1960, Dr. Garceau was instrumental in separating the Orthopaedic Service from the Department of General Surgery and formed an independent Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. In 1966 James B. Wray, M.D. became the first full-time Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and joined Bob Palmer, M.D., who was the first full-time member of the Department.
Richard Lindseth, M.D. joined the Department in 1967. Since that time, the Department has increased in the full-time faculty to 15 members. This change was brought about by the changes in healthcare, which decreased the voluntary participation of private physicians in town. This change in full-time faculty members, in relationship to voluntary faculty members, was repeated throughout the country.Following Dr. Wray as Chairman, due to his untimely death, was Donald Kettlekamp, M.D. who retired to become President of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. The next Chairman, G. Paul DeRosa, M.D., also retired from the Chairmanship in 1994 to become President of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery following in the footsteps of Dr. Kettlekamp. Dr. Lindseth assumed the Chairmanship in 1995. In July 2001, Dr. Stephen B. Trippel became the Department Chairman with Dr. Randall T. Loder succeeding him as Interim Chairman in July 2003. L. Daniel Wurtz succeeded Dr. Loder as Interim Chairman in July, 2015.
Dr. Jeff Anglen assumed the duties of Chairman of the Department In February 2005. The number of full-time faculty within the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery has grown steadily over the years and currently includes PhD research faculty as well as a large number of fellowship trained orthopaedists.
Randall T. Loder, M.D., is the new chair of the IU Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He served as interim chair in 2003-2005 and as vice chair of the department from 2005 until Feb. 7, 2011 when he began his new duties as chairman. Dr. Loder is the George J. Garceau Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery. He joined the IU School of Medicine faculty in 2003 following four years as chief of staff at Twin Cities Shriners Hospital in Minneapolis and professor of orthopedic surgery at the University of Minnesota School of Medicine.